Click to close
Find products and services
View eco friendly homes or list your own eco house
Information on sustainable living
Buy eco products
< All Categories >
At home / living
Building design, construction and renovations
Garden and outdoors
General / other
Real estate and property development
Transport / Vehicles
Travel / Accomodation / Tourism
Vehicles and transport
Web, internet and computers
< All Sub Categories>
Your local matters
to find your local and join the local conversation.
Cornerstone Building system
Cornerstone Building system
Other branches for this business
Cornerstone Central South Island Ltd:
Cornerstone Canturbury Rural Ltd:
Cornerstone Nelson Bays Ltd:
Cornerstone Queenstown Lakes:
Cornerstone Eco Build Ltd:
Wellington > Lower Hutt
Bay Of Plenty
Foundation Homes Ltd:
Auckland > North Shore City
Cornerstone CHCH Waimak Ltd:
Canterbury > Christchurch
Cornerstone Beaudessert Shire:
Cornerstone Russian Southern Federal District:
Cornerstone Eco Homes Ltd:
0800 426 763
PO Box 21 080
The “Cornerstone Building System” is best described as an Insulated Concrete Form ICF or a Structural Insulated Panel SIP WALL system. It was born from a desire to find a better way to build in New Zealand to cope with the cold winters and the high power bills that Mary Ginn was experiencing in Oxford, New Zealand, at the foothills of the Southern Alps, where winter snow was common & the North Westerly winds were known to remove many a roof & had the townspeople on a 45 degree to walk.
The idea was the easy part. Patent costs, testing at BRANZ, tooling, producing a manual so that designers could use the information, quality systems to protect the product, marketing material and systemising. Having already designed, built, stopped and decorated heaps of houses, when DYI (Do it yourself) was common. Mary had questions about the way we built in New Zealand & the throw away thinking. It was this base, where the builders constructed the whole project as well as helping with the trades, rather than the piecemeal style of building common over the last 10 years, that has made it possible for her to think of all the requirements.
With the Architectural & building experience under her belt, Mary’s passion is to achieve the most energy efficient cost effective home either grid tied or free. Early in the design process an “Energy Audit” is produced to make sure that the home is functioning well as a passive design, the most cost effective option for the 1st step. This coupled with the highly insulated envelope & some internal thermal mass has little need for energy input.
The design services of “Cornerstone Eco Design” are available to assist the Cornerstone Licencees, as well as Clients who have not yet found a suitable designer and if the do have a designer “Cornerstone Eco Design” offers back up support, encouraging the Licencees, designers and clients in sustainable practices even to the vegetable garden, fruit trees, to energy generation. Cornerstone has a range of plans available and can offer “Energy Audits” to assist in the design process
Why build with Cornerstone Building system?
1. The panels are light and easily managed into place very quickly without the need for hi-abs or cranes, unlike most other Structural Insulated panel systems. To view the construction process check out the video link on the Cornerstone site http://www.4-cornerstone.com/promo.mp4
2. The panels are manufactured in existing factories across the country to minimise the impact of freight on the environment and the cost of travel.
3. “Insulation is the Key to Energy efficiency!” Energy Efficient (R value 4.3 minimum) & Environmentally friendly design the way of the future.
4. Power savings are not the only big plus with the patented, Cornerstone Building system. B.R.A.N.Z (Building Research Association of New Zealand) testing has proved the system to be extremely strong in earthquake, (Christchurch 7.4 unscathed) and cyclonic winds.
5. These solid polystyrene panels are 1.2 wide by whatever the stud height you desire, with a minimum thickness of 200mm. The panels triple in value as they provide the form work for the reinforced concrete posts, and continuous bond beam, the insulation, (minimum of 4.3 R value), and finally the very high bracing against earthquake and wind.
6. The system is no more expensive than the traditional timber frame construction, with the added value of the product.
The Cornerstone Philosophy is: “To see as many people in quality, energy efficient homes that are affordable to all people, working in harmony with nature harnessing the warmth of the sun that is freely given. "We like to see timber used where its beauty can be fully appreciated"
Check out our latest Licencee Cornerstone Eco Homes Ltd offering all the affordable eco choice and some more simplistic plans to help folks get into affordable homes http://www.cornerstoneecohomes.co.nz Offering Solar, Boilers, Water collection, with highly insulate
Share this page
Local Me (NZ)
& Local Me (ZA)
Developed by Carlin Archer
© Copyright 2013 Ecobob Ltd