Information on sustainable living
Community chat
Buy eco products

Forum Search

Keyword

Forum

Topic: New food bill in New Zealand takes away human right to grow food

by Ecobob.co.nz 3 Dec 11, 34 replies : Last Post Sort by:
If you would like to receive email alerts when a reply is posted to this forum thread check this check box

Author Post

306 posts
New food bill in New Zealand takes away human right to grow food 
Posted 3 Dec 11 11:54 PM
I was shocked to learn from a friend on the weekend that a new Food Bill is being brought in here in New Zealand. The new bill will make it a privilege and not a right to grow food.
I find two aspects of this bill alarming. The first is the scope and impact the new bill has, and secondly that it has all happened so quietly. There has been VERY little media coverage, on a bill which promises to jeopardise the future food security of the country.
I read that the bill is being brought in because of the WTO, which of course has the US FDA behind it, and of course that is influenced by big business (Monsanto and other players). It looks like this NZ food bill will pave the way to reduce the plant diversity and small owner operations in New Zealand, for example by way of controlling the legality of seed saving and trading/barter/giving away; all will be potentially illegal. The best website to read about the problems with the new bill is http://nzfoodsecurity.org (I have no connection with this website)
Here are some snippets:
- It turns a human right (to grow food and share it) into a government-authorised privilege that can be summarily revoked.
- It makes it illegal to distribute “food” without authorisation, and it defines “food” in such a way that it includes nutrients, seeds, natural medicines, essential minerals and drinks (including water).
- By controlling seeds, the bill takes the power to grow food away from the public and puts it in the hands of seed companies. That power may be abused.
- Growing food for distribution must be authorised, even for “cottage industries”, and such authorisation can be denied.
- Under the Food Bill, Police acting as Food Safety Officers can raid premises without a warrant, using all equipment they deem necessary – including guns (Clause 265 – 1).
- Members of the private sector can also be Food Safety Officers, as at Clause 243. So Monsanto employees can raid premises – including marae – backed up by armed police.
- The Bill gives Food Safety Officers immunity from criminal and civil prosecution.
- The Government has created this bill to keep in line with its World Trade Organisation obligations under an international scheme called Codex Alimentarius (“Food Book”). So it has to pass this bill in one form or another.
- The bill would undermine the efforts of many people to become more self-sufficient within their local communities.
- Seed banks and seed-sharing networks could be shut down if they could not obtain authorisation. Loss of seed variety would make it more difficult to grow one’s own food.
- Home-grown food and some or all seed could not be bartered on a scale or frequency necessary to feed people in communities where commercially available food has become unaffordable or unavailable (for example due to economic collapse).
- Restrictions on the trade of food and seed would quickly lead to the permanent loss of heirloom strains, as well as a general lowering of plant diversity in agriculture.
- Organic producers of heirloom foods could lose market share to big-money agribusiness outfits, leading to an increase in the consumption of nutrient-poor and GE foods.

94 posts
Re: New food bill in New Zealand takes away human right to grow food 
Posted 4 Dec 11 6:50 PM
Pleased to see that I am not the only person alarmed by this proposed bill. It should have been a major pre-election issue, but No.hardly a whisper...from either politicians or puiblic

Codex also covers vitamins, including vitamin C, which coukld make common vitamins available on prescription only.

This nonsense has to stop, but I cannot rely upon any political party to block this.

491 posts
Posted 4 Dec 11 7:52 PM
Monsanto is currently trying to spread some gen-mod rice in India which can't be used as seed.
As a result the farmers would have to buy the seed for every crop.
They also want to put a patent on cattle breeds and all sort fruit, vege and grain species. This would make everyone pay heaps extra and make the entire food supply depending on the bir corporates

69 posts
Posted 4 Dec 11 8:16 PM
Just another dirty tactic these corporates giants are doing in their quest for global domination. They forget that, the power of the people (of the world) have greater power than them, 99% against 2%, if only we as a people bandy together to stop this unsustainable system.
Everyone should watch the movie "THRIVE", available free on youtube. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

69 posts
Posted 4 Dec 11 8:17 PM
should be 98% against 2%

191 posts
Posted 7 Dec 11 6:00 AM
Not posted for a while but had to reply to this.

Poor form Ecobob - not acknowledging the source of this story, thus giving the impression that its serious NZ stuff of self generated by yourselves. Its from a US site http://investmentwatchblog.com/ and is sandwiched between the articles
"The Bernank’s greatest quotes (thus far). Be afraid. Be very afraid:" and "Twilight Film Inducing Seizures? China’s Slave Labor, TEPCO & More: Infowars Nightly News"
Further down the page is is an article "Horrific moment transgender woman was tasered in crotch by rangers… when they found out she was born a man".
BTW infowars is run by an American journalist/talk show host whos raison d'etre appears to be conspiracy theories.

Regarding Nofear's comment - "It should have been a major pre-election issue, but No.hardly a whisper...from either politicians or puiblic". A quick google search with words "proposed food bill nz" brings up a reasonable amount of hits, many pre -election dated. Just maybe - is a non event story or not news worthy enough to reach the chattering class comics like the Herald or the Dominion Post?

Anyway, I have no comment on the actual story, people can make up there own minds on knowing the context or by reading further.
Pete

94 posts
Posted 7 Dec 11 6:47 PM
Hi Pr,
I posted the following excerpt from the editor of Uncencensored magazine in this forum on Nov 9th. It claims that the U.N Codex Bill has been lurking around for some years, but that it is due for implementation here in NZ before year's end.

In an earlier comment I wrote that this Codex issue should have been widely debated with politicians and voters pre-election. Heck, it could have even been a platform on which to run, if the full implications of this Bill are to be considered.

Pr, you might read in the following, mention of the Martial law provisions in NZ. Is this yet another far- reaching, life-changing Bill that failed to capture the attention of mainstream media in NZ? If so, is it just possible that the population of NZ is being shepherded away from the most important issues, while being distracted by 'non issue" "non event" stories?

94 posts
Posted 7 Dec 11 6:49 PM
Here is the quote in part from the November post.

"
Codex Alimentarius, the UN Agenda to eradicate Natural Health and Farming, is being stealthily implemented into New Zealand via the NZ Food Bill 160-2, due to be passed at the end of this year.

One of the alarm bells ringing in the Food Bill is that 'Food Safety Officers' may enter premises without a warrant, using all equipment they deem necessary, including guns (Clause 265-1). These officers may be police, or members of the private sector...ie Monsanto employees, backed by armed police. (Clause 243)

This echos another bill that most New Zealanders are not aware of and that is the NZ Martial Law Bill. I discovered this Bill five years ago and sent it to the Editor of Uncensored Magazine who published the details straight away.. The following week all reference to this bill, given it's casting vote by the Greens; disappeared from the internet, but we have the conditions of the NZ Martial Law Bill recorded here in Uncensored.

It was passed as part of the then bio-engineered Bird Flu scam.

http://uncensored.co.nz/2006/06/13/martial-law-coming-to-new-zealand/

This law supercedes all other laws and rights…eg the right to freedom of medical choice.
Personal property can be commandeered, i.e. one’s home and car if considered needed.
The ability for police to use force on people SUSPECTED of having flu.
If they refuse they can be quarantined and … if they resisit ” enforced vaccination” they will be fined $ 4,000 and sent to jail for 6 months…
Law enforcement powers are expanded and this law can be enforced during a pandemic and during ” inter pandemic ” times..IE anytime the govt wants.
The language refers to ” medical officers”. Who are they? Does not say Doctors…

The Bill also gives 'Officers' the right to confiscate one's home and car. What they will do with your children, they do not say, but we can only imagine.

The implications of the Food Bill are difficult for the average person to understand, but it has been studied by lawyers who say this bill is definately the beginning of the loss of New Zealand's food sovereignty and must be opposed. We must be aware that these laws are being passed for a time in the future when the last of our freedoms will be removed.

The way is being paved for corporations such as Monsanto to take control of New Zealand's Food production and supply. Another effect will be for already escalating food prices to be pushed even higher as producers are subject to red tape and regulation costs."

94 posts
Posted 8 Dec 11 6:03 AM
The NZ Food Bill is making news overseas, as it is part of the WTO agenda and has world wide implications. NZ just happens to be yet again) the wood duck...easily manipulated and stood over while its inhabitants roll over and watch rugby instead.

take a look at this link and see what others have to say about the NZ Food Bill and what draconian actions have already transpired in the USA.

http://www.activistpost.com/2011/12/tyrannical-health-standards-of-new.html

www.activistpost.com Wednesday Dec 7th

306 posts
Posted 13 Dec 11 7:49 PM

1 posts
Posted 30 Dec 11 10:50 PM
As a 66 year old New Zealander, I am concerned about our over regulated society is going further down such a track.
This proposed bill is quite complicated, it appears to be protecting us from poor food growing techniques, poor food handling that may affect us in the future BUT there is already a wide powers to control poor practices in our food industry.
The Bill appears to prevent individuals or volunteer groups such as Farmers' Markets operating on a regular weekly basis, preventing funds raised by such groups for the benefit of local organisations.
Community Gardens appear to be another group that may not survive such a Bill.
John Thawley
Retired Primary School Principal

94 posts
Posted 2 Jan 12 6:21 PM
Hi John, thanks for your great post.

I am told that the petition now stands at around 13,000, which reflects the apathy of the nz public.

Perhaps this is why NZ is such a great place for the 'powers that were' to do what they like..as long as they don't completely destroy rugby.

2 posts
Posted 4 Jan 12 7:50 PM
I just tried to place my name on the petition, it appears it has been removed, am I right.

2 posts
Posted 4 Jan 12 8:39 PM
Sorry, managed to sign petition, just would not work via the google tab.

Next thing to be legislated againest will be hunting, fishing and trapping, this will be done to protect control of the other side of the food chain. Seems to me that we will have to have a fight againest government controls to once again have some freedom.
I am scared for my children.....

Democracy is dead......

Seems government here is just missing the tiny little moustache under their nose, beginning to smell more and more like Nazi's.

I am called a cospiracist by family and friends, they believe that things like this law will never pass in NZ,and I have some really out there ideas. I feel now more than ever that my concerns are becoming more and more prevelant.

1 posts
Posted 6 Jan 12 7:51 PM
Signed. This law will only benefit huge international corporates and do nothing for the small scale growers I have learned to love since arriving in NZ. Shame the media is not reporting about this law,it should not be passed silently.

Over 30,000 people signed already, hope many will follow.

5 posts
Posted 9 Jan 12 8:48 AM
nofear, this is conspiratorial nonsense. There are so many other actual, real, environmental issues to be concerned about in NZ. Deep sea oil drilling and the continued pollution of our lakes and rivers to name just a couple.

It really pisses me off that so many on the left chase shadows, instead of devoting their energies on actual problems NZ faces. The bottom line is that this may be poorly drafted legislation, it may be bureaucratic over-reach, but it is not a conspiracy between National, Labour, The Greens and US Agri-business.

For any legislation to work, it needs the consent of the people. Any NZ govermnent who tried to restrict the operation of farmers markets, the trading of vegetables, seed swapping etc, would quickly find themselves out of office. It would be unworkable, no-one would enforce it and it would equally unpopular across the left and right of the political spectrum.

Read the bill, talk to your local MP, get some perspective.

69 posts
Posted 10 Jan 12 3:16 PM
elpres, THIS IS a real issue, once the govt gets a foot hold they're away. This has to stop NOW!
You are right that the people hold the power over govt and legislation, but why can't we as NZ'ers be seen internationally to standing up to corporate bullying?
Yes there are other issues that are equally important but we must voice our concerns in numbers straight to the top level govt officials rather than going to the middle man, too much time gets wasted in the passing on of messages.

94 posts
Posted 10 Jan 12 7:09 PM
hi elpres,
we are talking about civil liberties and self sufficiency...both at severe risk of disappearing via codex.

5 posts
Posted 10 Jan 12 9:37 PM
The issue is that compliance costs hit small producers hardest. In that sense, additional regulation favours big producers, however this is not a conspiracy and it is not corporate bullying. Big corporates don't care whether you or I make cheese.

We rely on regulation for all sorts of things in our daily lives and food safety is just a part of that. We want to know that when we buy meat from a butcher, it is safe to eat. We also rely on regulations to set standards which mean, for example, when a producer sells goods as free range or organic, we are assured that is what we are buying and that there is an agreed definition of free range or organic.

Harmonising standards between countries is important in terms of trade agreements and ensuring our produce gets into markets around the world. However, over regulation and over-zealous enforcement (as seen in the US) is an issue, particularly for small producers, which is why the current bill needs review.

I recommend this page for some intelligent debate: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cottage-Food-and-the-NZ-Food-Bill/141546855957996

5 posts
Posted 10 Jan 12 9:41 PM
As for codex alimentarius, yep it's all a massive conspiracy. The WHO, the Greens, Labour, they're all in on it, it's the work of those Freemasons, they're in on it too... Get your rifle, your survival kit and head for the hills!

94 posts
Posted 11 Jan 12 6:52 PM
Quote "As for codex alimentarius, yep it's all a massive conspiracy. The WHO, the Greens, Labour, they're all in on it, it's the work of those Freemasons, they're in on it too... Get your rifle, your survival kit and head for the hills!"

Elpres as you probably know, it is a U.N "initiative."

Nz just happens to be an easybeat when it comes to introducing unfavourable directives. Example? we were amongst the first nations to wilingly sell off state-owned enterprises under the IMf global directives.

as for your comments about food safety etc, we are already well and truly covered in that department without further regulation wanted, needed nor suggested by the people of NZ for the people of NZ.

Under codex we couldnt run for the hills anyway...nothing to eat or grow for ourselves when this Bill is enforced to its limits.

If you want to hand over the last of your remaining basic rights to an offshore cartel that cares not about you one iota, and conspires and invades countries at will under the b.s guise of democracy, be my guest. Just don't expect the rest of us to follow like lemmings.

Globalism, "free trade" "united" nations and the banksters have all proven to be a total failure yet somehow codex will be a good thing for us?

18 posts
Posted 11 Jan 12 6:53 PM
But that facebook link supports what most posters above have been saying?

This bill is poorly written I agree. What is not clear and is not given is how the bill will be implemented over time. It could be exceedingly restrictive - which may be the unwritten intention.

I was hesitant to post until I read more. But this bill as I read it, allows for all the negative consequences that Ecobob suggests, to occur. That in itself is worrying.

It would be comforting if it was written to protect the use of farmers markets, seed sharing, and small food businesses and so forth. But it does not protect these activities. What it does do is place new barriers and new permissions on what we already do.

Petition Signed.

“As for codex alimentarius, yep it's all a massive conspiracy." Ha. No. it’s a strategic plan which we already understand. Completely different.

5 posts
Posted 11 Jan 12 8:50 PM
I linked to the Facebook page because it deals with the issues without all the conspiracy guff. The petition page links to http://nzfoodsecurity.org/ which contains a fair amount of conjecture and misinformation. It reads like it was written by a left wing Glenn Beck!

It's been said that conspiracy theories are the refuge of the disempowered and I think there's a lot of truth in that, but I also think they contribute to the public disengaging with the political process. They provide an over-simplified, over-arching explanation for complex systems, but at the same time they imply there is nothing you the ordinary citizen can do, because power is wielded by shadowy figures in darkened rooms. And that simply isn't true, particularly in NZ.

Essentially, I think there are issues with the bill and ones that NZ'ers of all political persuasions will want investigated. But the rest is just nonsense and shows a lack of understanding about global politics.

94 posts
Posted 12 Jan 12 6:05 PM
Quote "But the rest is just nonsense and shows a lack of understanding about global politics."

curious comment there elpres!

What part of global politics do you understand that others do not?

5 posts
Posted 12 Jan 12 7:52 PM
I've explained my position above. Standardisation of food regulations assist trade, but compliance costs hit small producers and favour big business. However, that doesn't mean Monsanto, Fonterra et al give a damn about you making cheese and selling it, or that there is a cloak and dagger conspiracy to stop you.

Anyway, I don't think we see eye to eye on this, so suggest calling it quits. We both want the bill reviewed, so lets leave it at that. I love being able to buy food made by small producers and I reckon most Kiwis feel the same.

Viewing 1 to 25 of 35 results

Next
Ecobob - eco friendly homes on Facebook