Information on sustainable living
Community chat
Buy eco products

Forum Search

Keyword

Forum

Topic: Solar Panel Prices in New Zealand

by Anonymous 17 Apr 09, 135 replies : Last Post Sort by:
If you would like to receive email alerts when a reply is posted to this forum thread check this check box

Author Post

6 posts
Re: Solar Panel Prices in New Zealand 
Posted 18 May 10 4:24 PM

From my experience in the automotive industry Amphorus panels also degrade in output at a much greater rate the mono & poly therefore must be sized greater than nessacary to begin with along with your regulator.
Have you folks heard of inverter regulators, nothing to do with 12 to 240 inverter but matching the peak output of the panel to your battery bank, therefore increasing the effective output of your panel by 20-30%

Regards Donald

18 posts
Posted 18 May 10 4:40 PM
Hi Donald,

Although it is correct that amorphous modules have a "burn in" time during which the initial output is higher, most manufacturers will rate their product at the settled output. If you look at Unisolar, a 68Wp module will initially be at 75Wp. Over a period of about 10 weeks this settles to 68Wp.
After this burn in period, good amorphous modules do not degrade any more than crystalline cells. A Unisolar module comes with the same 25 year output warranty that we have come to expect from solar modules.

In general, you need less amorphous modules as compared to crystalline, which has to do with their better performance under scattered light conditions. The kWh/kWp ratio is generally higher (differs per manufacturer of course)

The inverter you refer to is probably a maximum power point (MPPT) controller. A data sheets on these are available here: http://www.alphatrononline.com/images/pdfs/TSMPPT_English.pdf

Jeroen

3840 posts
Posted 18 May 10 8:32 PM
What are people using for grid tie string inverters now a days, they seem to be in such short supply that no new systems can be installed this side of Christmas.

1 posts
Posted 20 May 10 11:55 AM
Hi the IEC61730 certification refers to salt mist tolerance? If so most major manufacturers' modules do not have this certification; some are now in the process of doing so for snow and coastal areas.

Kaneka panels- posted at $0.98/watt are amorphous and are generally high voltage panels most suitable for large installations (not just the couple of kW home type installs)

3840 posts
Posted 20 May 10 12:54 PM
Most panels have anodized frames, quite resistant to salt spray and so isn't an issue. The salt tolerance is more of an issue in the mountings where dissimilar metals are bolted together.

18 posts
Posted 20 May 10 1:59 PM
Hi Sunmana,

IEC61730 is a lot more than salt mist tolerance, the most important parts are the tests relating to electric isolation integrity. The existing standards such as TuV class II isolation and IEC61215/ 61646 are deemed to provide insufficient insurance that isolation values are maintained over the years.

The concerns stem from real life problems (accidents) in the field.

Currently, only IEC61730 certified modules may be used in Australia and New Zealand. If you do, you are breaking the law.
This is the same overseas (bar a few less organised countries) and therefore all major manufacturers will have their modules certified. It may not show on all documentation yet but if you ask they will be able to produce the certificates.

Modules used for systems with voltages over 50V or over 240W must comply with IEC61730 class A.
Modules used in arrays below 50V and 240W may comply with IEC61730 class C
Modules that only comply with IEC61730 class B shall not be used in AU/NZ

Higher voltage modules are generally suitable for grid connected systems where you use arrays of 200-500V, even for small 1kWp systems.
As long as they have the right IEC61730 certification, the higher voltage is no problem

Kind regards,
Jeroen

3840 posts
Posted 27 Jul 10 12:17 AM
The rampant overcharging in NZ common : using both meanings. Just about everything is triple what is should be and the opportunities are boundless for competition. It always amazes me that you get the " don't want anything from China response " but look where most people shop ...The Big Red... or just check the country of origin on most items.... ba ba ba .....Kiwis

1 posts
Posted 6 Aug 10 11:30 PM
Hi,

our current offer for a 40 ft. container shipment from China.

For mono 185w – our best price is 1.86USD/W
For poly 220w – our best price is 1.85USD/W
For poly 230w – our best price is 1.86 USD/W

All prices are FOB – Ningbo (Ningbo – Harbor) – the price is valid for 5 days

for further details, plese do not hesitate to contact me at: marketing.office.hitech@gmail.com or visit our website: http://www.sourcingandconsulting.com

following certifications: TUV,ETL,CE,ISO

3840 posts
Posted 11 Nov 10 9:27 PM
Solapro offers 3.34 NZ$ per watt + GST
solapro.co.nz

3840 posts
Posted 11 Nov 10 9:27 PM
Solapro offers 3.34 NZ$ per watt + GST
http://www.solapro.co.nz

1 posts
Posted 26 Feb 11 12:51 AM
Sonny
I agree with what you are saying, I am a kiwi living in Australia and been involved in the Solar Grid connect PV industry for the past two years and have gained extensive knowledge in the field. I started in the selling solar systems to consumers to now in operations where I am involved in the purchase and installation of PV in Australia. Here we are Grid connected which is massive advantage as we are selling our excess electricity back to the grid at a great price, and at present still have government incentives to purchase and install these on residential properties.

We originally had a local supplier but due to the purchase price p/watt we had to bypas them and we now buy direct from china and sell these systems to our customers at a more competative price. At present I am buying high efficiency panels from china for around $1.85USD p/watt however to get that price we are importing approximately 4 containers (40ft) consisting of 728 panels per month. These are 190w panels matched with Canadian or German inverters (Xantrex & SMA)

The Australian market has become huge, bringing prices here down in the past two years. There is a huge percentage of properties Australia wide have solar electricity PV panels installed on their homes. I think if the New Zealand Government gave some incentives or rebate on the purchase of these systems (Grid Connected) the market would be more competative as these systems would sell like hot cakes. If and when that happens I would definately consider moving back to NZ to pursue this opportunity and get in the market. But unfortunately you are right, NZ is just not ready for this technology or they dont want to know about it, and they should be doing something about it NOW!

1 posts
Posted 19 Mar 11 2:57 PM
I know lots of people have commented and replied. This "small market" answer I know has some merit....BUT...it's also a red herring. People in NZ often just get ripped off.
http://nztoodamnexpensive.tumblr.com/
Feel free to submit anything related to overtly high prices in NZ.

2 posts
Posted 2 Jun 11 7:15 PM
Hi All
I to have had enough of the prices being charged so I have sourced 230 watt panels at $668 gst incl=2.90 per watt.
More ever If you pay up front you get 10% discount.
This surely makes it affordable for you all, the payback period for the panel is about 4.25 years if you take out a loan for the panels it will be 5 years based on a real 1.3 kw panel yearly output in Christchurch.
I am only supplying the Canterbury area at present.
I can also get aus/nz approved grid tied inverters. At good prices. The panels are made in china so are the inverters full warranty offered see my website. http://www.dscsolar.co.nz . However I only have the enasolar grid tied inverters at present which are quite expensive compared to if I bring some in from china. your choice. nz is 2 * cost of Chinese made but a heck of a lot lighter.

1 posts
Posted 16 Jun 11 11:15 PM
Very interesting, keep up the good work

http://www.solarflux.com.au/

2 posts
Posted 12 Jul 11 4:59 PM
Hi All
I must apologize for the misleading statement about 10% discount. I meant to say I will halve my margin which makes the discount around 9%. ie I only add 10% not 20% this is an extremely low margin already.
Sorry again. you see where the 10% came from. As I was originally pushing the pre payment option not the retail discount.
Dave

4 posts
Posted 27 Nov 11 10:48 PM
I am actually amazed at the pricing people have put in here, I see one that imports to Australia >>> (4 containers (40ft) consisting of 728 panels per month. These are 190w panels matched with Canadian or German inverters (Xantrex & SMA) <<<<<<<
Now I am a little bit confused at this as there are 600 panels to a 40ft container or 300 to a 20ft.
these panels are with a 50mm frame 190 or 200 watt.
costing at $1.85 USD well lower actually, I pay $0.90 cents USD a watt.
now that's just the start of the pricing, then you have high risk of buying them from China, shipping transport, duty taxes GST and freight again , loading, warehouse rent and of course staff, then you got to Guarantee the solar panels, we Guarantee replacement if some thing goes wrong with them,
and believe me there does.
Buying solar panels is a risky business, just because there are 100's of Chinese companies selling them.
Does not mean they are all good,
they must before you sell them pass the Australian and NZ standards and be licensed,
the frames/brackets to tie down the panels to your roof are not just any type of frame they also must be engineered design to A&NZ standards.
My company is arriving in NZ in the next year and we will be selling Solar panels and wind generators to the ordinary man with help to install them and take people off or on the grid.
I know we will get opposition to this when we first arrive but NZ people need good stiff competition.
Now before you start on me and say I am a foreign company why do I need to be there, I am in Australia but I am a Kiwi making Australian dollars.
so back off, he he he
see you all next year.

2 posts
Posted 18 Jan 12 3:59 PM
Just a note that in November we put in just under a dozen panels plus inverter sourced from coolvibe (above) and installed by Canterbury Power. They're doing sterling work this lovely, fine summer...

Plus I've got one that can be readily switched out of the string to power a solar controller and thus keep batteries charged - in the event of a power cut.

14 posts
Posted 19 Jan 12 10:10 AM
Hi I would like to know I have now got the cheapest solar panels in New Zealand. All with long warrantee's
Check out my listing on Trade Me. Just search for 185 watt Solar panel. And you will see the best prices.
Also these Mono Crystalline panels will work for 25-40 years. Try and find any electrical appliance that will work that long.
For information 0800PVSOLAR
Regards
Calyton

332 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 7:35 AM
Hi Northside

From the last sentence from your website in your post above, why should power prices double, if Joe Bloggs can go out and get PV panels once they become economic (and long before power prices can double)?

I've just had some US panels delivered into my warehouse for NZ$1.30/Wp including GST. Sure I'm in the trade so can get wholesale prices, but I believe PV panels will become more like commodities and priced accordingly, so you do a swap out/swap in when one panel carks it: and no-one will have to rely on these outrageous extended product warranties which assumes the manufacturer might still be in business 25 years from now (or even 10 years).

As PV has plummeted in price recently, I would say to anyone thinking about installing panels just to do some homework and work out their true breakeven price, and then just wait until that price is offered - it isn't going to be that long to wait!

14 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 10:20 AM
Hi Seeker Look at the government sell half of generation, Smart metering, EtS power alone has gone up by 5% on the last year. Add all this up power will double by 2016 Just watch.
I am selling panels that have the 10 year warrantee many seller out there only off 5 years.

2 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 10:39 AM
> then just wait until that price is offered - it isn't going
> to be that long to wait!

Depending what breakeven timescale you want, there's no need to wait at all - I estimate 7-8 years payback on our installed cost, which is fine for an investment that will keep paying for another decade or two beyond that.

But I disagree with Northside - retail power prices are most unlikely to double by 2016, unless the globel economy takes off big time. Power demand has been flat since 2008, and generation capacity is pretty good except for very dry years.

So do your pre-purchase maths on current prices plus a reasonable increment per year, not based on big bumps in cost.

14 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 11:04 AM
Hi I have done the maths and a 10kw max system on your roof will pay back in 5 years with a 2% increase every year.

4 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 1:45 PM
@seeker, the power is going up here in AU of 30% in the next 3 years, plus $23.00 tonne for carbon tax
at my home our power bill is $550.00 per 1/4 add $165.00 and 3 tonne of carbon tax on that and I end up with my power being $784.00 a 1/4.

As for you getting solar panels delivered for I presume NZ dollars $1.30 per watt, where the hell are you buying them for that price and what is the name of the solar panel?/ Suntech ?
in our money that's a $1.00 per watt delivered??

I presume your saying that you have added GST shipping and transport costs to that ???

@ Northside
I saw a government document on the web and it said that the power costs by the year of 2030 will be approx $2.40KW
I was talking to some other professionals about this and tried to find the site a week later and it was gone from there, I only wished i had of printed it off :( as I have been trying to find it since.

I am also curious what type of panels you are selling with 25 to 40 year warranty as all solar panels i know give limited warranty over 10 years.
90% to 20 years 80% to 25years, to me as a user that means nothing. for at least 2 reasons.
(1) I am not going to be around in 25 years
(2) I doubt if the solar companies will be either
and as for 40 years well that's a new one to me.
he he he I maybe can offer a 50 year guarantee.
as you see it means nothing.

We are still testing a hybrid Solar and Wind system total 5KW X 48 volt system with 48 volt Gel battery bank using a total of 16/12 volt X200 amp hour batteries and a 6KW inverter/charger.

so far we tested the power generated from the solar panels and we we are not to impressed with the result (every thing goes back to a central computer in monitoring and testing)
specially the drop of power on a cloudy day, its huge.
The wind generator is a 2.5KW 48 volt and is 10 metres off the ground, we are still having problems with the harmonics of the tower, ( this is probably the noise every one says they hear )
but when we first erected the tower we had not put a earth strap on to the pole itself.

the noise was in a area of 60db and after the earth strap about 40 db even at this noise there are still obvious harmonics around and we are now testing bigger earth straps and thicker earth poles, as we are sure this is where the main problem to noise levels of a wind generator are.

I am sure some people on this forum have there own ideas and we are open to different ones, so do not be shy in telling us.

332 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 4:13 PM
Yeah Solar Jack landed into my warehouse with GST of 15% here in NZ: but I've also been offered prices of US$1/Wp landed in Aus (CIF) which even with GST would be around AUD$1.1/Wp. (All this is wholesale - still got to add margins.)

Just an indication of the oversupply I guess.

Besides carbon charges for you guys, I've seen your proposed distribution line investments in Aus (was is AUD$17billion or something?? - ours here is about NZD$2billion or something): you guys are in for some LARGE increases.

As for your hybrid system, I would personally not bother with the wind part, and just use more panels - sure you get massive drops in output when a cloud passes over or if the whole day is cloudy, but you're using [gel] batteries so that's what they're there for! (I like gel batts too: the consumer mass mkt is not going to take too kindly to specific gravity tests on a regular-ish basis).

I'm curious why you stayed at 48V instead of going to 96V nominal.

So when are you coming to NZ?

Here are the wholesale power prices for last week (table) and last 3 moths (graph), for the reference nodes of Haywards near Wellington, Benmore where the DC link starts in the South Island, and Otahuhu (Auckland):

332 posts
Posted 20 Jan 12 4:24 PM
Forgot to attribute the graphs and tables: thank you to the following people:

www.electricityinfo.co.nz
NZX Energy
NZX Limited
+64 4 498 0028
For more information visit www.electricityinfo.co.nz

Previous

Viewing 51 to 75 of 136 results