Information on sustainable living
Community chat
Buy eco products

Forum Search

Keyword

Forum

Topic: really small log burner

by Anonymous 28 Jun 10, 5 replies : Last Post Sort by:
If you would like to receive email alerts when a reply is posted to this forum thread check this check box

Author Post

3840 posts
really small log burner 
Posted 28 Jun 10 5:42 PM
I've got a small room I'd like to heat with a wood burner of some kind.
The room is only about 5 x 5 metres and currently has an old open fireplace in it which takes up too much space and is broken (i want to pull it out).

Ideally I'd like a wee log burner, but even the smallest metro or similar is too big. Maybe something designed for a house bus?

(Needs to be wood - grown on my property)

3840 posts
Re: really small log burner 
Posted 28 Jun 10 7:04 PM
Gidday
I found this orsome site while surfing the net, just perfect for you situation www.littlecracker.co.nz.

Mike P

19 posts
Posted 28 Jun 10 8:07 PM
Since it is multifuel it may not have to comply with wood burner smoke emissions regs.

102 posts
Posted 8 Jul 10 2:01 PM
The makers of the Little Cracker do not have any recommended minimum distances from combustibles for house installation because that is not their market. If you install one in a building, you will need to use the distances to combustible materials in the Standard for Domestic Solid Fuel Burning Appliances NZS 2918. Many libraries will have a copy of this.

Whether or not you can install the Little Cracker will depend on where in the country you are because different Regional Councils have different rules for wood and multi-fuel burners. The size of your site and where in the region you are located may also affect whether you can install it.

19 posts
Posted 8 Jul 10 3:18 PM
I successfully applied to Wellington CC to have Butler multifuel installed.
http://www.wagenerstoves.co.nz/butler_multi.htm

94 posts
Posted 30 May 11 6:49 AM
If the litle cracker does not suit, Morso 1440 is a clean air unit thyat that requires minimum clearance due to its consruction with convection panels, and it is a stove top. best of both worlds? If you want NZ made then take a look at the Warmington studio model. All three units mentioned put out similar average heat.

By the way i would strongly urge everyone with a fireplace to look at the fantastic Flue cube that nakes angels out of any fuel burning fire. better performance, less fuel burned and almost nil smoke.

Perhaps the best $350 that could be spent on heating today...regardless of having a clean air version or not. www.fluecube.com

This Nelson invention should be mandatory in my opinion. The inventor makes a strong case for renewable energy.

6 results found

Ecobob - eco friendly homes on Facebook