The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Accoya wood the solution?

Accoya wood the solution?

Posted 24 Oct '11 07:19 PM

Was wondering if anyone had experince with accoya wood? http://www.accoya.com/ It appears the process can make lasting non toxic timber out of pine.

Re: Accoya wood the solution?

Posted 25 Oct '11 01:48 AM

Uses VOC free treatments to stabilize the timber and in doing so they have created a very durable timber product resist to mould, decay and insects- without toxic chemicals. Down side is they use pine from NZ ship it to Holland, treat it, and then ship it around the world. Rumor has it Accoya are looking at a treatment plant in NZ.

Posted 25 Oct '11 06:42 AM

This would be a way to avoid toxic timber and make the use of pine sustainable

Posted 25 Oct '11 08:26 PM

Maybe this wood comes with airpoints having been round the world!(tongue 'n' cheek) But seriously, this is the best thing since sliced bread, if any of their promotional videos are anything to go by. It would be a no brainer not to have a setup here in nz, instead of sending our unprocessed logs overseas for others to make profits on.

Posted 25 Oct '11 08:52 PM

Well I find nothing wrong with importing wood as long it is from sutainable sources. At least until the local timber industry gets their act together and provide durable timber for construction which is non toxic what wood should be and wood stands for.. Personally I don't find timber treated with toxic substances acceptable for house construction.

Posted 24 Nov '11 11:13 PM

This sounds like a very exciting product, I wonder how the local authorities will view it. The whole idea of chemical free timber is very challenging to them and the majority of the industry, I have just had a project where I had specified untreated NZO for framing timber and what arrived on site was H1.2 boron treated and H3.1 CCA treated Pinus Radiata, supplied by the timber company as an "upgrade at no cost".

They don't seem to be able to get their heads around the idea that some people don't want to live in a house full of toxic chemicals.

One of the big issues facing our local timber industry is the log sizes that are being harvested are too small. Trees are being cut too young resulting in wood resulting in logs that are too small in diameter, too short in length and too soft.

It is apparently more profitable to cut trees at this age and export the logs than leave them to mature for better construction timber.

Posted 24 Nov '11 11:35 PM

So it's time the government steps in with regulation setting minimum desity and age atandards for construction timber. Labour failed to do so and with National which is totally controlled by the big guys it is even less likely. I did a test and left timber outside for the last 6 months. Untreated Pinus Radiata, Boron treated PR, Larch, and Spruce both untreated. Both PR look horrible now and the Larch and Spruce has turned natural grey. While the Pinus Radiata appears very deterated well below the surface and some fungus the other two are like new just .5 mm below the surface. and not a sign of fungus. Why is the timber industry so narrow minded to understand that toxic treatment is not a sustainable way to use timber?

Posted 25 Nov '11 12:26 AM

"Why is the timber industry so narrow minded to understand that toxic treatment is not a sustainable way to use timber?"

Risk avoidance, which means liability avoidance, which means protection of profits for companies, which means sustainable returns for shareholders, which means share value growth, which makes investing in forestry a "wise" investment.

Who do you trust? The serious men in pin stripe suits or the wacko greenies who are "anti business"?

Personally I think the building industry will move quickly away from timber framed construction towards SIPs over the next 5 - 10 years because the timber being provided is of increasingly poor quality and Pinus Radiata which is the predominant plantation timber in NZ is unsuitable for use without chemical treatment.

Posted 04 Jan '12 03:36 AM

what are SIPs, Dean? thanks. We are looking to build soon using something other than H1.2/H3.2 timber for framing.

Posted 04 Jan '12 03:36 AM

what are SIPs, Dean? thanks. We are looking to build soon using something other than H1.2/H3.2 timber for framing.

Posted 04 Jan '12 03:37 AM

hmmm. apologies for double post!

Posted 04 Jan '12 03:37 AM

hmmm. apologies for double post!

Posted 04 Jan '12 03:38 AM

um, weird. ok. sorry, again!

Posted 04 Jan '12 04:25 AM

Hi Lisa, I have answered your question on a new topic rather than hijack this Accoya thread, as looking at the Accoya I think it is a great product. Just look at the list and it should be up there.

RE: Accoya wood the solution?

Posted 27 Apr '20 06:30 AM

Here`s a resources with fully information about Accoya`s benefits: https://degmeda.eu/services/charred-wood-decking/

Post Your Own Comment