The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

dangers of spray foam insulation

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > dangers of spray foam insulation

dangers of spray foam insulation

Posted 26 Nov '12 05:03 PM

Anyone getting ill from homes, offices or schools insulated with polyurethane spray foam? In the U.S. many homes are not livable because the continued off gassing from the SPF.

Please consider my petition for full disclosure of the toxic chemicals in spray foam insulation. Flame retardant dust and chemical off gassing continues after SPF is installed. http://www.change.org/petitions/epa-require-full-disclosure-of-toxic-chemicals-used-in-spray-foam-insulation

Re: dangers of spray foam insulation

Posted 15 Jan '13 12:10 AM

Well done for highlighting this issue. If more consumers were able to spend the time and effort understanding this product fully they would not touch it. It seems to be sold here mainly on the basis that "10,000+ NZ homes have it so it must be fine". Awful. Should be banned. Good luck with the petition (but one aimed at NZ govt would be better).

RE: dangers of spray foam insulation

Posted 15 Oct '19 12:29 PM

Hi there, a relative of mine moved into a rental property in 2016. , I have been very close to him and his family for many years and visited regularly. All that changed in 2018. Beforehand, they had moved into this property which had no insulation. I would go around often and see them all without any issue. Suddenly, in 2018, I started to get symptoms upon entering their property. This developed over time and increased to the degree that I can no longer enter their premises. To make a long story short, I finally found out their landlord installed insulation into their home sometime in 2018 (when my symptoms began). I seem to recall that he had used a spray foam insulation (from memory) and it was a DIY job. My life, since this, has altered dramatically. From any exposure to their home/property or even their person, I become poisoned, so can no longer see my family much at all. My symptoms are devastating. I experience dizziness, severe pain and sensation of movement through the head with corresponding urge to vomit, uncontrollable and excessive crying and drooling, swollen tongue, metal taste in the mouth, extreme depression and suicidal thoughts, trouble breathing and extreme asthma (with excess use of asthma inhaler), etc. This has cost me clients in my job as a carer and isolated me from family. I try to keep in touch by phone/text and only see them on the rare occasion away from the home. Even then, just being around them in person, is enough to cause me toxicity and i have to then go through the long, drawn out and painful procedure of trying to detoxify afterwards, which, if bad enough, can take many weeks before I improve again.

None of them appear to be experiencing any symptoms. However, due to me being already obviously compromised and more sensitive, whatever toxins are leaking into their home environment are showing up in me. I feel a bit like the canary in the goldmine. As part of my job, I enter many different people's homes and have never come into a home like this. Nothing comes close.

The reason I was alerted to possible toxicity from insulation was not only the timing of my symptoms, but standing near the vent on the outside of the home was enough to poison me. It was then I realised what was going on, as I discovered the landlord had installed this insulation under the floor. I have been in touch with various companies, some of whom were of little help or simply did not respond to my plight. I have had some luck with the City Council, Branz, and the tenancy services. Branz were particularly concerned and aware, and have come across this before. So I'm not alone. I now have the task of attempting to gain the actual name/brand of this product via my brother. However, the landlord may become alerted and suspicious if he's asked. I have no other idea how to gain that information, so here's hoping I'll be able to gain it soon. Upon getting that information, I hope, if relative willing, to get the place tested. Wish me luck!

Posted 15 Oct '19 12:39 PM

PS, thank you for bringing this post to my attention. I wished I had seen it earlier and been able to add myself to your petition. I have already contacted a number of agencies to bring this to their attention regarding my situation. I hope I won't be the only one, but would hate for anybody else to go through this. But if somebody is experiencing similar, please ring as many agencies as you can and alert them. Maybe then something will be done. For now, they seem to be treating my issue as an isolated case, apart from Branz, who seem to be well aware of this.

Posted 22 Oct '19 05:16 PM

Some time ago I had to run away from a new building site after someone started applying this horrible stuff.
The fumes were unbearable. Lucky me I have escaped with a bad headache but no further issues.
This spray foam is just one of those "fast fix" things people seem to fall for, applied without a concept and or consideration what impact it might have on the building structure or the health of the occupants.
This kind of products should see an immediate ban imposed.

@Bex if the landlord of your relative is not aware of anything you could always pretend to look at insulating your own place and ask the landlord whom he has used. Otherwise, to prove anything there is no way around to get a sample tested.
If the test shows a positive result, you or your relative have a case.

Posted 22 Oct '19 05:16 PM

Some time ago I had to run away from a new building site after someone started applying this horrible stuff.
The fumes were unbearable. Lucky me I have escaped with a bad headache but no further issues.
This spray foam is just one of those "fast fix" things people seem to fall for, applied without a concept and or consideration what impact it might have on the building structure or the health of the occupants.
This kind of products should see an immediate ban imposed.

@Bex if the landlord of your relative is not aware of anything you could always pretend to look at insulating your own place and ask the landlord whom he has used. Otherwise, to prove anything there is no way around to get a sample tested.
If the test shows a positive result, you or your relative have a case.

Post Your Own Comment