The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Free cob building courses - South Africa

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > Free cob building courses - South Africa

Free cob building courses - South Africa

Posted 13 Apr '08 02:41 PM

We are a married couple living in Namaqualand, South Africa, in a small village living a natural, artistic lifestyle and building with cob, a centuries old building tradition. We are about to embark on a number of building projects around our house, which is an old clay-brick house. If you are reasonably fit and want to learn the wonderful art of cobbing, we offer free accommodation in our house for two weeks or longer. The cobbing course takes the form of doing a specific building project. You will be living in a creative, laid-back atmosphere, sharing the house with us. Bob is also an artist (painting & sculpting), so artists are most welcome. Our 12 year old daughter is musical, so there is always a guitar, djembe drum, keyboard and rattles in the house and if your are musically inclined you are welcome to use them. We can take two people at a time. We take people for two weeks at a time, but if you feel you want to stay longer and that is convenient for us as well, your stay can be extended. In return for accommodation and free cobbing course, we will expect you to muck in with cleaning, tidying and cooking as we ourselves do. Cobbing is hard physcial work, so you must be prepared to do that. However, there will be time for leisurely meals, walks, etc. You will carry your own transport costs from wheverever you are living to the village and back once your course is completed(taxis run daily from Cape Town) and we will expect you to contribute food (of your own choice) for meals, which we cook and take together. We are both smokers, so consider whether you could accommodate that before deciding you would like to join us. We employ a cleaning lady three times a week - we will expect you to contribute towards her renumeration what you consider fair in return for the extra workload that results from more people in the house and for doing your laundry. You will find this handy after a long day's cobbing! Artists must bring their own materials. We have three dogs and a cat sharing our space. We also have a fully stocked herb garden for those into their herbal teas and natural cooking. If you can, bring a camera to record your experience - visuals also come in handy when you start doing your own cob-projects. Alternatively Bob has done an illustrated manual which you can copy, carrying the costs of the copying yourselves. Please note that, in the true spirit of cobbing, we are offering a learning experience and therefore no renumeration is applicable. We offer the course and accommodation free, in return you help with the building projects while sharing chores and food costs. Our way of life here is unrushed, earthy and honest. If you think you would enjoy doing this for a couple of weeks or more, email us at [email protected]

Re: Free cob building courses - South Africa

Posted 06 Sep '09 08:35 AM

Hi, I am very interested in finding out more about your cob house living. I notice you wrote your invite in 2008 - are you still working in cob? how has it been living in the house. Presumably you have electricity and water??. please respond. I would love to have a cob house.

thanks, Dina

Posted 10 Sep '09 11:09 AM

Hi I am very interested in you project, I would be there like a shot, but circumstances prevent me at this point in time in getting there. Maybe in the not too distant future - any pics on what you have built thus far?

Posted 11 Apr '10 06:10 PM

hi there, is this course still available--we own a backpackers in port edward and are looking at a more eco friendly set up. thanks, dave and terry

Posted 27 May '10 09:14 PM

Hello, I am an architecture student from the UK and very interested in the opportunity you have posted on here. I am looking to build a cob structure of my own over the next few years and this experience you are offering would be so valuable! I also want to take my year out in an architecture firm in South africa and want to see the country so much. I am extremely hard working and fit. My e-mail address is [email protected] Please do get back to me when you can, thanks!

Posted 27 Jul '10 11:40 AM

Hi - are you still looking for cob building volunteers? Im a environmental management masters student at university in cape town but i'll be doing research up your way soon. I would love the chance to volunteer with you and learn more about natural building. I am an experienced wwoofer and love music and long walks. Regards, Iona Blair ([email protected])

Posted 15 Aug '10 06:24 AM

Hi I am very interested in finding out more about your cob building course. I am 19 years old (gap year) and not sure yet what to study at university. (it will be in the architecture line). Regards Alex L

Posted 19 May '11 07:52 AM

hi there I am from Durbanville and would like to know if the course is still available and if so I would like all info on it! thanks Lyn

Posted 16 Dec '11 07:37 PM

Is this offer still available!?

Posted 29 May '12 02:42 PM

I live in a strawbale and cob house that my husband supervised. He has left the household and the house needs some ordinary maintenance. I am looking for one of your students on your "free cob-building course to spend 2 weeks here doing a little maintenance work in exchange for accommodation in the cob house and the best food in the world. I run a restaurant in George called Leila's Arms www.leilas.co.za. A wonderful way of exploring this beautiful part of the world and doing me a great service at the same time. Gabrielle

Posted 29 May '12 02:44 PM

Hi Did you volunteer for this course and are you available to share your skills on my cob house that needs a little maintenance for the same conditions. The food is simply irresistible. Gabrielle

Posted 25 Apr '14 06:20 PM

Dear Bob,

My wife and I are interrested in joining your project but see these posts are fairly old so am not sure if your project is completed. If not we would be interested in joining you for a stint. We are from Wilderness on the Garden Route.

Julian

Post Your Own Comment