The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Green E Cylinders for Hot water?

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > Green E Cylinders for Hot water?

Green E Cylinders for Hot water?

Posted 31 May '20 01:51 AM

Been looking at the Green E Cylinders as a possibility in our new build?
Anyone had any experience with these or have these in there home?
What are your opinions on these?
Love to hear some reviews.
Thanks in advance.

RE: Green E Cylinders for Hot water?

Posted 01 Jun '20 12:56 PM

Here is a link to what I'm talking about:
https://www.energyefficient.co.nz/domestic-products/green-e-cylinder/

RE: Green E Cylinders for Hot water?

Posted 15 Jul '20 09:36 PM

I would go with a proper 'split' system and forget the rest. That is the heat pump unit is OUTSIDE and the hot water cylinder is INSIDE the house. There are so many disadvantages to this e-Cylinder setup which is no different to the early Rheem HWHP they marketed here 10+ years ago. Not that i'm against these integrated systems; they do work very well in hotter climates like in Australia. But in NZ, we're a different climate, especially in the S. Island. Also you lose out on redundancy; if the heat pump unit fails, you're just stuck with an expensive electric element HW cylinder. In a split system, the HW cylinder is separate and can operate on electric element if the outside HWHP fails.

Wifi access is nothing new and you can achieve the same ON/OFF functionality with a separate low cost WiFi Relay you can buy off AliExpress and wire it direct to the power button on the keypad. The software is free and you can do all sorts like timer / schedules, etc for these WiFi relays.

Roof installations also pose a problem with efficiency as it's been documented, winter months in the S. Island produce little usable heat in the roof space. Furthermore, the roof space atic is considered a 'cold zone' so the HWC would be working against ambient cold temperatures. I would rather have the heat loss of a HW go to the living space inside a house than being outside.

Then there's the issue of noise. Quite often heat pumps produce a noise that is audible through the roof insulation ; if you're a light sleeper?

Post Your Own Comment