The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Posted 01 Jun '20 07:55 PM

We are going to build a new home soon and I have been looking at options for insulating the garage door. I see a post from 2011 on the same topic, but I expect things have changed since then and some of the suggested door brands do not appear to exist now.

Anyway, the garage is built in at first level of a two-level house. The concrete floor will have under slab insulation, walls on the first level will be ICF all the way around so the garage walls are well insulated, and one exterior door will be insulated, But what to do with the garage door which will be the weakest point? The garage doesn’t have to be as warm as the rest of the house, but I don’t want it to be cold either. A decent garage door will save on garage internal wall insulation (i.e. the walls of the garage that are shared with the hallway, and the room above). I am interested in two door manufacturers right now.

The first is the Sovereign door that is built from the start to be insulated with PUR, foamed in between and inner/outer steel panel. Sounds good, but the detail of the claim of a thermal bridge for the outer panel to the inner panel looks to be a little simple. Also, the detail of the side insulation appears to be just a wind barrier, and only one seal. No stated R or U value is given. Do these door work well?

The other door is Overlap, an Italian brand which also has built in insulation between two steel layers and is the only door I have seen that quotes a rating (U = 1.50). The U value is OK, not flash, but then it is a garage door. The trouble here is cost, it’s quite expensive, and then I wonder about reliability, but I have nothing to base this concern on. The door opening method is certainly better than anything else on the market.

Another feature that I want is a quiet door since the main bedroom will be the room above. They both claim to have quiet operation.

Has anyone had any experience with these two door types? Are there any other garage doors that are worth looking at?

Post Your Own Comment