The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Posted 01 Jun '20 07:55 PM

We are going to build a new home soon and I have been looking at options for insulating the garage door. I see a post from 2011 on the same topic, but I expect things have changed since then and some of the suggested door brands do not appear to exist now.

Anyway, the garage is built in at first level of a two-level house. The concrete floor will have under slab insulation, walls on the first level will be ICF all the way around so the garage walls are well insulated, and one exterior door will be insulated, But what to do with the garage door which will be the weakest point? The garage doesn’t have to be as warm as the rest of the house, but I don’t want it to be cold either. A decent garage door will save on garage internal wall insulation (i.e. the walls of the garage that are shared with the hallway, and the room above). I am interested in two door manufacturers right now.

The first is the Sovereign door that is built from the start to be insulated with PUR, foamed in between and inner/outer steel panel. Sounds good, but the detail of the claim of a thermal bridge for the outer panel to the inner panel looks to be a little simple. Also, the detail of the side insulation appears to be just a wind barrier, and only one seal. No stated R or U value is given. Do these door work well?

The other door is Overlap, an Italian brand which also has built in insulation between two steel layers and is the only door I have seen that quotes a rating (U = 1.50). The U value is OK, not flash, but then it is a garage door. The trouble here is cost, it’s quite expensive, and then I wonder about reliability, but I have nothing to base this concern on. The door opening method is certainly better than anything else on the market.

Another feature that I want is a quiet door since the main bedroom will be the room above. They both claim to have quiet operation.

Has anyone had any experience with these two door types? Are there any other garage doors that are worth looking at?

RE: Insulated Garage Door : Revisited

Posted 15 Jul '20 09:42 PM

We have insulated EPS in our garage doors. They a local NZ make and appear to just have cut EPS fitted across the sectionals of the garage roller doors. Since the doors are aluminium, there's little benefit. But above all, it's not so much about the garage doors themselves but rather, the gaps all around the doors. Exterior wind pressures push and pull against the garage doors and any small gap will let air leaking in.

Over in N. America, they have a much better method of sealing garage doors. For starters the doors themselves are vinyl PVC so you won't get that cold thermal bridging. The edge and seems too have seals so they remain snug fit on all edges of the perimeters (in Canada when you have -30C overnight and persistent sub 0 temperatures for 3 - 4 months of the year... air leaks matter.

Hindsight, they're not worth the $ unless you fix the air leaky gaps.

Posted 11 Aug '20 04:23 PM

I have soverign doors .. 2 : one double, one single. They are well made but the inherent problems with seals at the junctions remain. They are still better than most others -- re thermal seals and bridging

Posted 30 Aug '20 01:40 PM

Thanks for your comments. Seems that Italian door has become even more expensive to get to NZ with the Covid situation. This Italian door is a good problem solver, but we don't have those problems, so not going there now. Going to look at local doors instead.
Our house is about to begin construction. Debate with the builder has started regarding these garage doors. The one he has priced has brush seals and more like the standard uninsulated door with insulation added. That's going to be changed as this is clearly not going to keep air out, or have the thermal performance we want. But his door was made in aluminium so that was a good thing.
The sovereign door, which still looks like the best contender, is made from galv-steel with powerder coating. Not sure how well that will stand up in our near the sea situation, facing west in Taranaki. Maybe it will survive if we remember to wash it a few times each year.

Post Your Own Comment