The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

taking off concrete slab to retrofit piped UFH

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > taking off concrete slab to retrofit piped UFH

taking off concrete slab to retrofit piped UFH

Posted 12 Dec '19 03:21 PM

Hi there, so, this may be a bit of a crazy idea, but may bet not....: We have a house with a 100mm concrete slab with 665 HRC mesh 30mm from top and we would just love to put in some piped underfloor heating. The UFH system we have been offered so far would add 4cm height to the floor and the room height is only 230cm, so we are not keen to lose much of that height (I am tall, too). We have been thinking that maybe it is possible to take off a few centimeters from the concrete slab (3cm, down to the mesh??) and then put the UFH on top. That way we would only loose 1cm, which maybe we could even balance by putting flooring on top that is thinner than the current one. Does anyone know if this has been done/can be done? Would consent be required (I think if we keep some distance to the walls, it would not be considered an alteration to a supporting structure...)?
Any tips are welcome. Cheers!

RE: taking off concrete slab to retrofit piped UFH

Posted 14 Dec '19 02:29 PM

I would put your idea under mission impossible and you potentially compromise the structural integrity of your slab.

Have a look at this one.
https://www.variotherm.com/en/products/modular-floor-heating.html

Posted 14 Jan '20 01:55 PM

Thanks for your opinion and tip. Yes, I had a look at the variocomp before and we are still thinking about it. The other system we are considering, is a bit thicker 40mm, but already has an insulation layer built in, which the variocomp hasn't. If we would put some poly underneath the variocomp, we probably end up with the same height. Going without insulation would mean we loose less room height, but on the other hand we would loose more warmth into the ground...

Posted 15 Jan '20 09:09 PM

I am a packers and Movers services provider currently living in India. My interests range from transpiration to travel. I am also interested in packers and Movers in services. You can click the button above to visit my company website.
movers and packers in Delhi

Post Your Own Comment