The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Valuations for energy-efficient/passive homes

Home > Chat Forum > Building design, construction and renovations > Valuations for energy-efficient/passive homes

RE: Valuations for energy-efficient/passive homes

Posted 23 Jan '20 06:14 AM

How many square meters was your house akmodi and does that rate include the garage? So where are you based? We are building a small house to passive house standards and the per square meter rate is horrendous!!
We got our windows through Triple glazing NZ who are based in Luggate. They import Bayerwald windows. It was significantly cheaper than any other company we approached (including Neuffer). We went for wooden triple glazed with aluminum on outside. https://www.tripleglazing.co.nz/
In hindsight I would have gone with pvc with aluminum on outside as they look great, excellent thermal properties and much cheaper.
What SIP panels did you use?
We did not have a good experience with the valuation!! I met the valuer on site and explained the windows, ventilation system etc and that it was passive house standard and would have very low operating costs. He valued it the same as any other code minimum house..... and in the valuation was comparing it to 1960s houses nearby in a rural setting that were “superior” because they were larger.... it was lucky we had quite a bit of our own money so the bank wasn’t worried but I was so mad about the valuation!! Hopefully the final one comes up a bit....
There must be a better way to build better more economically. The building costs in NZ are crazy!!!

Posted 23 Jan '20 10:37 AM

Hi Greenbean3,

We had a large house : 485 SQM Inc garage...but the garage 85sqm, was also made with the same sip panels. This way the garage doesn't get very hot or cold...and the garage was where my builders honed their fitting of the sip panels.

We used NZSIPS.

The initial valuation was made for a standard build....but at just under 2.7k per sqm. We tried to keep to that price but costs crept up and we ended at 3k per sqm.

When built, there was a fresh valuation that took into account the fittings and construction...and valued it a 4k per sqm.

Costs when building through a builder / contractor will be around 4k per sqm...that's their margin. So I project managed it myself and employed builders on a labour only contract.

The main point is to be able to get the difference between the initial valuation and the final built cost ( and how you can keep the latter down).

Hope that helps

Posted 23 Jan '20 01:04 PM

@greenbean3

Just like I said before it all comes down to if you're trying to secure a loan from the bank to build. For all others that are building that are fully flushed with cash, well they should not be compared to regardless of cost. Issue being industry does not care about improving the building standard in NZ, not when the insurance industry dictates the coverage. Banks rely on insuring their mortgage loans and if the insurance is not valuing MORE for a particular house, then there is little chance they will value more just because it has different windows or different walls. It's NOT like securing a loan for a car which the interest rates are 2 or 3 times more than mortgage rates ; and thus leaves enough room for defaults, depreciation of the asset, etc. Margin rates on mortgages are very low and so the valuers need to within reason, "WILL the high spec house be marketable in the case of a foreclosure?" For Passive Haus standards, i'm seeing $5K+/sqm build. No way will a house of that valuation will be met well with the bank valuer.

If you want lower building costs.... cut out the barriers of entry in industry. Cut out the regulations. We're a small country but unfortunately our gov't is great at babysitting the lowest common denominator.

Posted 23 Jan '20 09:01 PM

Wow that’s a huge house!!! Impressive!! Ours is 137m2!!! Hence very high per metre squared rate....

Posted 23 Jan '20 11:19 PM

@akmodi

You were charged 5% customs duty for your windows? Or was the 5% for destination charges, port fees, etc.? I ask, because most residential building products (joinery being included) have been covered under a tariff concession since July 2014. You can find more information on this on MBIE's website. When we import our joinery from the U.S. we always take advantage of this concession and never pass on a duty fee to the customer. Just something to be mindful of for anyone that isn't aware...

Cheers,
Jason (Ameribuild)

Posted 27 Jan '20 08:07 PM

Ameribuild, did you try simply to google it ? ( https://www.google.com/ )

Posted 27 Jan '20 08:08 PM

Ameribuild, did you try simply to google it ? ( https://www.google.com/ )

Posted 27 Jan '20 09:28 PM

@david1RM

Apologies, but unless I'm misunderstanding your point, I'm not sure how a Google search is going to tell me whether or not akmodi was charged customs duty for their unique, individual joinery purchase. I believe this is something only akmodi and their joinery supplier would know. The point of my post was that building materials are duty free, including windows, so I would be questioning a 5% charge for customs duty.

Posted 27 Jan '20 09:50 PM

Hi Ameribuild and david1RM,

I don't remember the exact figures -- as it was almost 2 years ago. I imported these myself, so there was no joinery supplier.

In any case 15%+5% (or 15% only) is significantly lower than buying these locally. Most suppliers are importing them anyway.

Our windows were supplied by Neuffer who did pack them so well that not a single one (out of 27) broke. Some were really, really large.

The NZ market is too small for many of these suppliers to set up factories -- so import we must .... cut out the middle man and you will save over 30-40% (compared to local costs).

Even simple things like Grohe taps are much cheaper to buy in USA and amazon will deliver to your home. you can check the watermark certificates from here: https://www.abcb.gov.au/Product-Certification/WaterMark-Certification-Scheme/WMPD-Search

Our IKEA kitchen was a third of the price compared to local suppliers with Blum fittings, soft close as standard and a 25 year DIY warranty. Yes, you will not be able to claim on it - - but you can be sure that the products are exceptionally good.

However, nothing ventured, nothing ....... Just my 2 cents.

Posted 28 Jan '20 07:54 AM

Akmodi, thanks for sharing your experiences. For your Ikea kitchen, how did you go about that? Did you just order direct from Ikea (in some country) and got it delivered to freight company, then they shipped it back? Or did you have a lot of other stuff and packed it all into a 20 foot container?

Did you source a ventilation unit from abroad too?

Posted 28 Jan '20 08:45 AM

Hi Rabbitcat,

We had it shipped from IKEA international from Delft in Netherlands. We took a whole lot of things and got a container over.

We did go to AU to see the different designs etc, but still shipped from NL, is cheaper than from AU.

Thanks

Posted 28 Jan '20 01:05 PM

This whole topic is something that needs a regulatory strong hand, I feel, so that energy-efficient features are at least valued at cost in a conventional build. We talk about the quality of NZ builds, where builders treat the code as the gold standard, when its the bare minimum, but this is a huge barrier for people who want to push the envelope.

My Father in Law is our builder, so no fancy construction techniques for me, just alternative sources for things cladding, windows, hot water heating, and yet still we are provided with uncertainty.

Posted 28 Jan '20 02:15 PM

@ m1013828

Building code just reinforced what industry needs to meet and while it's minimum, it's not a bad minimum. Most OECD places have decent minimum code construction. For eg in NZ the earthquakes have made insurers to demand better seismic standards. End result is we have raft foundations that cost an extra $80K to a typical size home when before, the budget would allow for an extra bedroom or fancier energy efficient materials and designs. Just look at the cost of building basic. $2,000/m2 I would say is the very minimum. I know 10 years ago in Christchurch the very basic home cost per m2 was around $1200. Nothing has changed between then and now except the foundation requirements and extra regulations, site specific soil testings, etc. This means what the norm was 10 years ago for a family home = 4 bedrooms and a double size garage, translates to a single car garage and 3 bedroom on the same cost.

There simply is no budget left for fancy energy saving devices, extra heat pumps, wider timber framing like 140mm, etc. Insurer don't care about those features because it's that is doesn't matter... what matters is if the house crumbles down in an earthquake, no matter how many solar PV or triple pane windows, etc. these features don't save the house and they certainly don't command extra $ by the real estate agent trying to sell such a house. Houses in NZ are treated more like commodities with the average house changing hands every 5 or 6 years.
<< 1 2

Post Your Own Comment