The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

wall insulation options

wall insulation options

Posted 14 Oct '19 10:39 PM

Hi, we are looking to build shortly, (titles came through this week) approx 210 sqm, and im wanting to put as much of the spare "upgrade" money into insulation as possible.

Looking at the walls, im trying to get a gauge on what options are best to get an insulation value above R3, on a budget of course, With an old fashion builder, 150mm framing for 140mm batts is the default option.

Ive scoped out a few options, Hebel cladding, Mitten vinyl cladding with 30mm polystyrene backing, or perhaps a standard wall with 90mm spacing and a PIR board, (1 I've explored goes as far as R4)

What has been your choices in wall options, and pros and cons?

RE: wall insulation options

Posted 15 Oct '19 07:19 PM

We're doing 140mm walls with 90mm nogs. Cladding is vertical on cavity, so attaches to the nogs. Insulation is then 90mm batts with a 50mm blanket over the nogs. i.e. only studs are thermally bridging. Also less timber at corners (i.e. 2 stud corners). This gives around R3.6 or so. Main reason we're going 140mm though is it allows better window install (thermal break aligned with cavity, no WANZ bar defeating it) and also allows slab edge insulation more easily (floor is heated).

I'd take care of windows first. i.e. reduce size on south, west to minimum, make optimal use of solar gain on east/north (check overhangs vs head height to limit sun in summer, maximise in winter).

Posted 18 Oct '19 04:15 PM

Double layers of wall insulation doesnt cost so much more but will perfome much better.
Sprayed insulation might be 1st choice with regard to performance.

Posted 30 Oct '19 12:04 PM

Thanks, ive talked to the father in law who will be our builder, and as he is "vanilla" I think this solution you have used would work best, just ordered some samples of Mitten Vinyl, which he isnt so hot for though, based on past experience with vinyls.

Post Your Own Comment