The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

I missed Masonry Stove workshop -can anyone who went fill me in?

Home > Chat Forum > Ecobob Cafe > I missed Masonry Stove workshop -can anyone who went fill me in?

I missed Masonry Stove workshop -can anyone who went fill me in?

Posted 20 Nov '09 04:58 AM

I believe there was a masonry stove workshop or seminar held recently in Central Otago. Could anyone who went to or who organised this please contact me or let me know what they thought of it?

Masonry stoves are massive woodburners that are usually lit once a day and burn very efficiently. They then slowly radiate that heat out into the house over the day. I have been looking for information on NZ sources /designs/masons capable of doing them.

Re: I missed Masonry Stove workshop -can anyone who went fill me in?

Posted 15 Feb '10 06:00 AM

Hi.

I just got back from the course which took place last week in Clyde. It was organised by Sampsa Kiuru - a finish guy who is building an eco house where the course was held. He organised and paid for Albie Barden of Maine Woodheat to come from the US to teach the course. Albie is a very experienced and knowledgable guy in the masonry heater world and so was able to impart lots of knowledge over the course of the week. The course was very hands on and was centered around the building of sampsa's heater. This was a masonry core heater with a cook oven above the firebox and a air to air heat exchanger sitting on top to remove heat for hot water. Soap stone was cut on site and used on various parts of the exterior veneer..

After much hard work we got the heater to a stage where it can be plastered with the lighting party scheduled for some time in april.

I think albie has a blog on his website and will have more info on how it all went. There were also literally thousands of photos taken which will be available for people to see how it all came together.

Hope this helps

Andrew

RE: I missed Masonry Stove workshop -can anyone who went fill me in?

Posted 03 Feb '20 12:52 PM

Hi there,

I understand this post was from many years ago. Just checking in to see if there is someone who knows how these masonry heaters stack up in council consenting processes with clean air standards? I understand the technology is sufficient but the process to get approval requires paperwork. If anyone knows who I can talk to about this it would be great to know as we are exploring this as an option on a project in Queenstown.

Best,
Campbell

Post Your Own Comment