The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Electric Car for NZ, Electric Aeropod

Home > Chat Forum > EV Forum - The Electric Vehicle Discussion Board > Electric Car for NZ, Electric Aeropod

Electric Car for NZ, Electric Aeropod

Posted 31 Jan '10 04:53 AM

IMPORTANT PRESS RELEASE.

I am about to import and test an electric vehicle which I have branded as the "Electric Aeropod".

It is a two seater limited range (approx 80km) and limited speed (50 km/h) fully covered, purpose built and patented electric vehicle. I have been working with my supplier to custom build a New Zealand compliant vehicle which I am the Agent for. The vehicle will be road tested for six months then will be marketed to the general public.

The target market is for the city dweller who have a fairly flat road structure like Auckland. This will be a second car suited for those who need a small run-about to travel between 15 to 30 km a day.

The running cost over a petrol car are such that this vehicle is able to pay for itself over three to five years depending on how far you drive and how much attention you pay to the needs of the electric batteries which require to be kept fully charged in order for them to give a good long life cycle.

The cost of the vehicle will be between $8,000 to $9,000 depending on the exchange rate at the time.

I would like to warn potential customers that I will not be providing a warranty on various parts of this vehicle such as the batteries as these are sensitive items which are subject to abuse by the purchaser. I could provide a custom based warranty to include items such as these but I would have to charge another $2,000. Instead I prefer the owner make this saving and therefore promote them to make an intellectual investment into their purchase for the good of the EV community.

For the unenlightened I will give a brief explanation about electric vehicle battery usage.

The standard cheap car battery is a cranking battery, designed to give a limited fast big power output to start and turn-over a car engine. It cannot give a large and constant power output for an extended period of time. This is why they are not used in electric forklifts, golf carts or EV's.

A deep cycle battery is the next general step up. These batteries are much larger and are able to give out a good heavy voltage for a much larger constant (period of time). As a result they are between three to five times more expensive than the cranking battery above, depending on the type. (which is too involved to explain here - so don't be lazy and do some research yourself) These deep cycle batteries are used in electric forklifts, golf carts and low speed electric vehicles/cars.

The next step up are the new non lead acid batteries. These are VERY expensive but do have a better performance. They are being used by the larger car manufacturers like the Toyota Prius and the new Mitsubishi i MiEV car which the New Zealand launch has been canceled for another 18 to 24 months due to the current prise tag of around $70,000 to $90,000 quoted to me by Mitsubishi three weeks ago.

The Electric Aeropod uses the more cost effective deep cycle batteries. They require much more attention than a cranking battery as they need to be kept fully charged every day. This would entail the user to plug the vehicle in usually at the end of the day at night to use the cheap "off-peak" electricity.

I have attached the Electric Aeropod dash board (looks a bit rough with the plastic wrapper on). You will see to the left the battery capacity dial, notice the red area denotes a low charge, this is to warn the user to charge as soon as possible for the health of the battery. Next is the speed dial (the speed is restricted to 50km/h in order for it to be driven in New Zealand under a specific classification (Remember this is a cost effective residential electric vehicle). The third dial is the operating temp, this may be a bit redundant as the vehicle speed restriction will mean that the system will not be pushed to the maximum.

Below is the reason why the NZ public have not had any low speed cost effective electric vehicles.

In New Zealand the NZTA do not have any classification for the legal use of these new low speed residential electric

RE: Electric Car for NZ, Electric Aeropod

Posted 31 Jul '17 04:07 PM

You could buy a 2nd hand Leaf for not much more then this...

Posted 07 Dec '19 08:08 PM

The RM class Edison battery-electric railcar was a well known and fruitful railcar that ran in tokoyo, visit japan for a long time. The model, RM 6, was ostensibly the main fruitful railcar in japan, however the sort was not formed into a class.

The railcar had a wheel course of action of Bo-Bo under the UIC characterization framework, weighed 32 tons (31 long tons; 35 short tons), had driving controls at each end, and with a motor yield of 90 kW (120 hp), it voyaged serenely at 60 km/h (37 mph).

Posted 29 Dec '19 08:22 AM

Hi,

The vehicle sounds interesting and this type of innovative thinking is just what the industry needs. One day, one of these will come along and really challenge the big manufacturers. If you would like to send over more information on the product and your project, we could put an article together for the website.

You mention the flat topography - does that mean this wouldn't be suitable for Wellington at all?

Ecobob

Post Your Own Comment