The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

Multiple earths installation

Home > Chat Forum > Switching to Solar Power > Multiple earths installation

Multiple earths installation

Posted 19 Jul '19 02:25 PM

I am off grid with solar and a windmill. We are now looking at putting in a new solar array on a stand near the battery shed, and I am unsure what to do regarding grounding, and cable run. The ground array will have four groups of panels connected in series, providing a nominal 111 volts back to the solar controller. My questions are -
1/ We currently have two ground rods. One at the house, and another at the shed. I am unsure why the electrician did this, but he also did not tie earth and neutral in the house distribution box. Should I install a third ground rod at the array? Should I tie all the ground rods? Should the earth and neutral be tied at the house?

2/ The 111 volt supplied from the array needs to be returned to the battery shed via a very steep bank over 25 metres. It would be very difficult to trench. Can this cable be strapped to a top fence rail and comply with nz cable regulations? For some bizarre reason I am unable to access the NZ regs without paying several hundred dollars!

Any advice appreciated.
Matt

RE: Multiple earths installation

Posted 21 Jul '19 11:41 AM

Unlikely you will get a fast response here, post your question to https://www.electricalforum.co.nz/

Cheers
Mike

RE: Multiple earths installation

Posted 11 Aug '19 12:59 PM

You shouldn't be doing prescribed electrical work if you are not an electrician or an electrical inspector.
The reason why the regulations are expensive is they are for registered electricians, and not for the public to carry out prescribed electrical work.
If you are doing work on the mains or the main earthing system, you have to be a registered electrician and also have the work inspected by an electrical inspector.
1. It is dangerous, and you could easily create an electric shock hazard.
2. You will invalidate you home insurance policy.
Even electricians get it wrong, so please don't attempt this work yourself.

Post Your Own Comment