The Ecobob member's forum: where members discuss, discover and network all things green and eco.

Keyword Search
Archive

PV Off Grid Micro Inverters to Power Your Hot Water Element

Home > Chat Forum > Switching to Solar Power > PV Off Grid Micro Inverters to Power Your Hot Water Element

PV Off Grid Micro Inverters to Power Your Hot Water Element

Posted 02 Apr '16 10:03 AM

CyboInverter in the USA have released an on\off grid micro DC to AC inverter that allows 4 solar panels to feed directly to your HWC element, via the standart thermostat etc. Strings of these inverters can be plugged together to increase the power input to the element. If the on grid port is disconnected then it runs in off grid mode permanently; this makes a quick solution to the problem of using PV to power a second HWC element to cut down on power bills.

http://www.cyboenergy.com/downloads/CyboInverter-CIM-1200C-H-Spec-Sheet-Rev-1.2-June-2015.pdf

Cheers
Mike

RE: PV Off Grid Micro Inverters to Power Your Hot Water Element

Posted 08 May '16 07:55 AM

HI Mike
Have you used or seen any inverters from this company.
Or maybe who the VAR retailer is?

Posted 10 May '16 09:54 AM

Hi Grenway, no I havent used them, but the specs look very good, I suggest you send them an email to find out if they can be purchased directly.
I am currently designing my own high voltage DC to AC MPPT tracking inverter for powering 230 vac HWC elements as PV is now more cost effective than solar hot water heating panels and none of the problems, eg frost control, they just take up more space.

Mike

Posted 19 May '16 04:10 PM

Hi Mike, just something for you to perhaps think about....if you want to heat water with solar I suggest you buy a solar water heating unit, they are more efficient(75%) especially evacuated tube solar water heaters, compared to solar power(upto 18%) for a solar power system you would need minimum 4kw depending where in the country you, solar water is cheaper by far.
If you wanna make electricity then solar power is the way to go

Posted 21 May '16 09:26 AM

Hi Expert
Very Valid point and on the efficiency side 100% correct. What i am wanting to do is to cut out all that plumbing, pumps, drain-back tank or glycol and special HW Cylinder etc.that can be required to install the solar thermal unit. Micro or mini inverters on roof are so easy to install DIY then a sparky 3 hours to wire and whola. No over heating problems as the HW control is via its installed thermostat all ready and a clever dick could use a change over switch and still have grid power as a backup heating and use the excess electricity else where.

Posted 09 Jun '16 09:58 AM

We are the people to go through for the Cybo units. They currently do not carry IEC 62109-1 and IEC 62109-2 compliance certification and are unable to be legally used in NZ until they have it - see AS/NZS 5033 section 4.3.11 relating to PCE (power conversion equipment). We have trial H models and H/T models.

Our Hot PV product offering currently uses Enasolar inverters re-tasked for PV water heating, and comply with all NZ regs.

Like the Cybos, the inverters take PV power which is DC (direct current) and turn it into safer a.c. (alternating current), but at a continually varying output voltage - so that all the solar power on your array can be passed to the water heating element - whether you have 3kW or 500W or whatever coming out of your array.

Barbara Elliston
Easy Warm Limited

Posted 27 Jun '16 08:55 PM

Hi, first time on this site for me. I have seen this company as well. has anyone got some real world experience with these? Cheers

Posted 27 Jun '16 08:57 PM

Sorry, I should have been more specific, I mean't the CyboEnergy product.

Cheers
David

Posted 27 Jun '16 09:00 PM

We have the CyboEnergy units. We have trialled the CyboEnergy units. But they can't be legally used in NZ without IEC 62109 certification.

Regards
Easy Warm Limited

Posted 29 Jun '16 10:29 PM

Easy warm - with your system, once the hwc reaches required temp can the power be used elsewhere in the household?

Posted 30 Jun '16 08:28 AM

Yes you can use the power elsewhere: we have two main product offerings - first is completely standalone array with or without grid boost to the HWC, this boost uses a programmable controller; the second is standalone/grid-tie array also working with our programmable controller.

When in standalone mode of operation (both product offerings can do this), the array is working completely independent of the grid, so can function even during extended power cuts.

Easy Warm

Posted 30 Jun '16 08:35 AM

Thanks easy warm - sorry I should have mentioned I'm designing an off grid system

Posted 30 Jun '16 09:02 AM

How the Easy Warm HotPV solar hot water system works with off-grid systems depends on the configuration of the off-grid system. What are the components envisaged for the off-grid side? Is it an array into a string inverter onto a bus with battery charging inverter, or something else?

Easy Warm

Posted 07 Jul '16 12:28 PM

It's an array to string inverter with inbuilt charge controller.

Posted 23 Jul '16 07:13 PM

Hi
Easy Warm I emailed you thru your web sit about the Hot PV system.
Still waiting on a reply.
[email protected]
Thanks
Richard

Posted 23 Jul '16 08:36 PM

Apologies - thought we answered.

Will check.

Regards
Barbara Elliston

Posted 25 Jul '16 01:30 PM